1. The city is filled with tourists roaming all the while and keeping this in mind, the city has many water fountains available across the city. All you need to do is make use of it to drink as much water you need and make the most of it. The water is clean and hygienic. The fountains have a hole on top of the spout. Just cover the end of the spout with your palm and the water would shoot out of the hole for you to drink it easily. You can also carry an empty bottle to get the best resource for drinking.
2. Get your Colosseum ticket beforehand to save the long queues. You can buy tickets to visit Palatino and this would help you buy tickets to Colosseum while exploring the place. Trust me you would save a lot of time there and Palatino is also very beautiful to see.
3. Take a public transport pass for you to travel with ease and not spend much on your trip. Europe has many places which are connected to the public transports with ease. All you need to do is plan your trip well and buy a pass which can be valid for 3, 7 or 30 days depending on your trip. It is a common pass which would work on all buses, metro and trams as well. You can also get a euro rail pass if you need to travel inter-city.
4. Try the deeper destinations apart from the main tourist spots as you would need to spend much there for entry fees. The much cheaper or free destinations are untouched and beautiful for you to look at the real beauty of Rome.
5. The culture of Rome is very relaxed, and you would find people not working for Siesta. This is a period from 1 to 4 during the day when they prefer to rest or take time off from work. It is a great way to get some me time.